[tid-bit] –noun 1. a choice or pleasing bit of anything

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Mom, Dad, I Salute You!

So can I just say that I have a new appreciation for my parents after working where I do? Cause I do. Parents can be so mean! For example I work at a water park (that shall remain nameless) and I get parent everyday who are yelling at their kids because they aren't having enough fun or the kid really doesn't want to go on the slide. Give the kid a break! Does he really need to go down? I doubt that.
One of the worst that I have seen was at the top of our largest body slide. This mom and dad were trying to get their son to go down it and he was absolutely terrified. He was balling his eyes out and his mom was trying to coax him down and was like "I will go first so you can see that it isn't scary ok? I will meet you at the bottom." So she zips down and the kid looks like he is going to wet his pants. The father keeps looking at his kid and then looking up at me laughing as if his son is the most ridiculous, silly person in the world for not wanting to go on this ride. (which, as a side note, I have been on and I really didn't like it. IT HURTS.)
So he is laughing in his kids face, calling him a baby, and saying just go down the slide! Awesome...pretty sure this kid isn't going to traumatized or messed up from that...psych. Anyway final that dad physically picks up his kid, puts him in the beginning of the tube to wait for the green light. The kid is crying, and begging, yes begging "PLEASE DADDY, DON'T MAKE ME DO IT. PLEEEAAASEEE" I wanted to push the dad down the slide head first! And right at the last moment of the kid pleading for his life his dad laughs, shakes his head and pushes him down!
Another thing that parents do all the time...is freak out over absolutely nothing. They get stressed about the littlest things that really don't matter at all while they are there. I get that they paid a lot of money for this vacation and they just want everyone to have a good time, but seriously, take a chill pill, walk it off, something cause if your kid doesn't want to do something oh well, move on. Or if you have been out in the sun all day and running your kid all over the park, take into consideration that they might be a little tired and might whine a little bit.
Today for example, a dad was getting ready to do an "activity" at the park and the little boy was tired and whined a little about not wanting to do it. The dad looked at the kid, looked at his wife, and then rolled his eyes up to the heavens and said in front of his child "I am SICK of all the whining. WHY did we decide to have another one?" Are you serious? Did you really just say that? And the parent of the year award goes to....
Basically I could go on forever about the parents that I see, and I will admit some..ok most of the children I see can be really annoying, so I give the parents some credit, but seriously give your kids a break!
Again, thanks mom and dad for not making me ride the tea cups when I was little because I hate rides that spin, or making me go on rides that made me want to kill myself. And also, thank you for not ever saying (to my face at least) that you regret having me. I appriciate it =)

Always Yours
Nae

3 comments:

  1. thats a pretty intense story! but i hear it all the time from people that work at disney (about the parents) maybe, just maybe disney isn't the happiest place on earth...j/k

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are on to something...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, sounds like those parents needed to just go by themselves if they were going to be that selfish. Seriously, why torture the kid! It makes me so furious to watch parents like that. I have to say "hats off to you" for enduring that each work day.

    ReplyDelete