[tid-bit] –noun 1. a choice or pleasing bit of anything

Monday, December 3, 2012

Who needs to sleep?



It is almost one in the morning and my brain apparently has forgotten that sleep is essential, even though I need to wake up early tomorrow.  My brain wants to pretend that my body doesn't need sleep... great. So, even though I probably should be going to bed, that just isn't going to happen anytime soon. (I'm a little bit of a lightweight when it comes to staying up late sometimes... Oh so lame.)

What has been on my mind that has been keeping me up? Well, that is a personal, private matter, and I am not going to tell you anything about it... But I will tell you about another time life apparently did not want to grant me any sleep, although I desperately wanted it.

Camp!
Let's not...
I had my first "real" camping experience this summer. Sure, I have been camping once before with my family, but I was so young, I don't remember hardly anything. What I do remember is my mom telling me she would be sleeping in the van, and me being the youngest, I got to sleep in the van also. Perfect. Thank you mom. You taught me so much.

When I told some other friends and some of my family that I was going camping, the most common response was basically one of shock, followed by some form of laughter. Yeah, those responses were valid.

My friends decided to go to Yuba this summer and camp on the beach and go boating. I would be lying if I said I didn't have a good time. I totally did... but I would have to say that is was mostly due to the people I was with and the fact that we were mostly out on the boat all day. That part was amazing. Really. We laughed a lot and all had a really great time together and we listened to a lot of Spice Girls. Who wouldn't have a good time? I was actually just talking to Melissa about everything that happened that weekend and I have to admit that we made some really good memories.

So, was camping as horrible as I was predicting? No... and also yes. 

This is where the sleeping comes in - or doesn't.

First let me just say that it was so windy the whole weekend it was exhausting it literally exhausted me. The first night, the girls went to our tent and I was apprehensive. I had never really slept in a tent, camping before. It just isn't safe OK?

I admit, our set up was probably the best out of everyone else. Does that mean we got any sleep? Of course it doesn't. It was cold. It was windy. It was noisy. I wanted to cry. I might have freaked out a little bit. I was completely out of my element. I wanted a shower, and normal food, and my bed, and a toilet that flushed, and no sand in my eyes and mouth...

It was the longest night I could remember in a long time. It sounded like there was a group of people slapping the tent over and over and over and over again. In NEVER let up. EVER. The sand was everywhere. (Apparently I am a huge wuss and it is a good thing I was born into the life I was and the time I was. Seriously... it's a little pathetic).

I think we got a total of a couple hours sleep, if that. However, it didn't put a damper on the rest of the weekend. Especially since the next night, I got to sleep in a truck, tucked away nice and safe. Thanks boys!

This post is the worst flowing, most jumbled thing ever. Just like that last sentence.

Anyway, I think it is safe to say that I have had my fill of camping for the year. I'm glad for the experience, but I am also glad that it is winter and I won't have to worry about going camping until next summer.

I still don't understand the desire and love people have for camping. I like nature as much as the next person. (STOP LAUGHING! IT'S TRUE!) But at the end of the day, I need a home. Camping is kind of dirty and a lot of work. Regression - not my thing. We started building houses to live in for a reason, right? My idea of camping may or may not include an all inclusive resort. Just saying.

Camping obviously isn't my scene.

1 comment: