[tid-bit] –noun 1. a choice or pleasing bit of anything

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy

I have come to a lot of realizations this week; and I must say that it has been a tad overwhelming.

These past couple of months have come and gone like a whirlwind and I never took the time, or made the effort to really process everything that was going on in my own life.

I have always embraced change. I find it exciting and necessary. It is something that even though it might make me apprehensive, because of the inevitable adjustment that has to take place, it usually is all for the better. But what the problem I have is I don't ever take the time to transition. It's like when I am going swimming in an unheated pool. I don't wade in when I can just get it all over by jumping in the deep end.

For an example, when I graduated from college I just packed up and left. It wasn't even until after I was already on my way home that I realized I didn't even think about the fact that I was leaving the place that I had lived for the past five years of my life; the place I had made so many friends and memories and had shaped me into me.

In the past few months I have: moved to a new condo (also meaning new church ward), started a new job, bought a new car, gotten closer to some friends and grown apart from others. Yeah, OK, so it really doesn't seem like a big deal, but let me tell you something, it felt like a big deal when I realized what my life looks like now compared to a few months ago.

So, all of this stuff has happened and I hadn't really processed any of it. I was just swimming blissfully in the deep end. But this week, when I was on my way to my friend Melissa's apartment, I started drowning in all of these emotions of how my life has changed and was changing! Seriously? I felt so lame. But luckily for me, when I told Melissa, she reassured me that I hadn't lost my grip on reality. Well, not any more than I already had.

But basically it allowed me to reflect over the past little bit and realize how great my life has become and what things I maybe need to be better at doing. Nostalgia can be really great every once in a while.

What does this have to do with Thanksgiving? Well, I don't really know. I am sure I could figure out something. I guess I am trying to say that I am thankful for our ability as humans to change.

I have had a few conversations on human nature and change recently with a friend of mine. It always drives me crazy when people justify their horrible actions by saying "that's just the way I am." OK... great. Way to take no responsibility and I completely disagree. I do believe that your personality might incline you to certain behaviors. However, in the end you make the ultimate choices and you can change. Why would all the best movies have something called character development, if we couldn't? And thank Heaven we can, because if I couldn't be working on a part of myself or trying to improve, I would hate to see the type of person I would be.

Well, that was an unexpected rant. I am just saying that I am grateful that I can change and grow as a person so I can be happy and have a happy life. And I am thankful that I know that.

I am thankful I am happy.

Alright, now for the cliche Thanksgiving part that you all have not been waiting for.

I am thankful for so many things. One thing that I very, very, very thankful for?

My family...

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.




1 comment:

  1. The bow. Love the giant bow!!
    I also liked this post. :)

    ReplyDelete