[tid-bit] –noun 1. a choice or pleasing bit of anything

Thursday, July 28, 2011

i really love the 80's...

I am proud to say that I was born in the 80's! Granted, it was very nearly the 90's, but still.

This post will be devoted to a select few of my favorite 80's things. Note that I said select because I do not want to put you all into a coma from staring at your computer all day/night reading a ridiculously long post about mullets, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, acid wash jeans, Back to the Future, hair scrunchies and Molly Ringwald (I love Pretty in Pink).

The 80's was just bigger, badder, crazier and I'm pretty sure it was a whole lot of fun!

Let's start with music shall we? I totally dig 80's pop. I do, sorry but it is so dramatic and outrageous how could I not love it? Pat Benetar speaks to me.



Like I mentioned earlier, not even scratching the surface of 80's awesome-ness. So, don't judge me for not covering all of my bases.

As far as movies go, I do not even know where to begin. I have gone through many different phases of 80's favorites throughout the my years but these are my favorites right now.

Some Kind of Wonderful

I was introduced to this wonderful flick fairly recently and I love every minute of it. It has great lines like "This is what my girlfriend would look like without skin." Duncan is seriously one of my favorite characters. I mean who says "I think it's safe to say that this party is about to become a historical fact"? Awesome. Eric Stoltz, Mary Stuart Masterson are perfect in their roles together, and if you've seen this movie, you know what I mean!



Willow

I am happy to say that I was lucky enough to grow up on this movie. Thank you Dad! This movie rocks and that's all there is to it. It is what spawned my little crush on Val...before he pretty much fell of the face of the earth. I watched it not too long ago and it is still as funny as it was before. The huge human snowball? Classic.


 
TMNT

I actually grew up on the 2nd movie, with the ooze and Vanilla Ice...But now, I love them both. Casey Jones (who also is Duncan in Some Kind of Wonderful) once again, is one of my favorites.
Go ninja, go ninja, GO!



Anne of Green Gables

This series was with me my whole childhood and I couldn't be more happy about it. It's perfect and I love it to this day. Gilbert Blithe is a dreamboat and Anne is enduring.


Dirty Dancing

"Nobody puts Baby in a Corner"


Also, another dancing move...
 
Girls Just Want to Have Fun

This movie is so ridiculous it couldn't be better. I can't decide if my favorite part is how dramatic it is, or the fact that SJP and her man in the movie win the dancing competition because the tumble across the stage.



Anyway, at college, one of my modern teachers for Halloween would have an 80's day for class and it was spectacular. Walking, no, strutting across campus with my friends in tutus jean jackets, oversize sweaters, big hair, and lots of color, it doesn't get better than that. We would then do the real thriller dance after watching the music video and some 80's hip hop. Bliss!

One of my favorite MJ videos...






Oh Madonna, you are outrageous! But Fabulous! Just like the 80's...in my opinion.

4 comments:

  1. It's just... too much. I can't handle the joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to introduce you to my friend Brad Meehan. Seriously, you two would get along really well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehehe. Just watched Vanilla again. Hehehehe. And yes, I did the dance moves:)

    ReplyDelete